This summer has passed with relatively few hot days. But on those days when the mercury is rising, we have used a few methods to keep the flock cool.
– chilled, halved watermelons
– fruits frozen in bundt pan (grapes, strawberries, cherries, blueberries)
– frozen cream corn (used muffin tin)
– lots of ice in multiple watering stations
– kiddie pool / wading pool filled with 2″ water and throw some fruit pieces in (also highly entertaining)
To loosen any of the frozen treats, just run under warm water for a few minutes. During the hottest portion of the day, the gals will normally rest in the shade of the woods or under the deck. How are you keeping your flock cool this summer?